Tuesday, March 27, 2007

919 Gang

I worked for eleven years as a news photographer for the San Diego Union-Tribune. I recently discovered an old timer's news group where we can sit around the stove and tell lies about the good old days. I think I will use this to collect the stories that I fondly... or not so fondly... recall and are part of my life.

Let us begin.

Jack,
I was a photog for the UT from 1966 to 1977 so perhaps I qualify for this group. I reconnected with Phil McMahan and Jerry Windle a while ago and they both told me about it and sent me some of the dailies. They dredged up some long forgotten names and some amazing memories, thanks.

Phil Sousa was indeed a class act.

The comments about Jack Cooper made me smile. I don't think Coop could breathe properly without his cigar, at least I never saw him try.

Is Joe Flynn still around? I always thought he was the epitome of what a news photog should be; aggressive and dedicated, with a flat top haircut and attitude to match. He could have been modeled right out of a Raymond Chandler novel. Maybe he was.

One story I remember was when he was covering a snooty dog show. He thought it would make the Union's picture page if he got the biggest dog in the show together with the tiniest one they had. I don't recall the details, but I assumed they rounded up a great dane and got the proud parents of a little chihuahua or pekingese to volunteer their little darling for the photo. Joe said he put them together in one of the exhibit booths and stepped back to take the pic. The big dog did a slow turn and looked down at the little dog. With one "Ggrunphh!" the dane grabbed the little dog by the head and gave it a shake, just to express its displeasure with the situation. To everyone's shock, Joe's more than anyone's, it abruptly ended the little dog's career. Joe never did say how he made his own exit from the show.

I don't suppose Cooper used the photo.

Thanks again for the memories and add me to the list if you will.

***

Your Assignments That Went Bad suggestion jogged my memory about one of the few times I ever missed a deadline. I was assigned to cover either Lyndon Johnson or Richard Nixon (my memory is leaning toward Nixon) making a speech at Camp Pendleton. I think I recall that Thane MacIntosh also went. Thane went to properly cover the whole event, I was to get a quick shot of the president speaking to the troops who were departing for Viet Nam, and then hot foot it back in time for the Trib’s final. As I recall, the photo deadline was about 11:30 am and if the president was on time... if I unloaded my camera enroute... if I could coax 60 mph out of my UT Corvair... if the traffic lights on Broadway were kind and if Jerry Windle had the developer superheated, I could theoretically make the green sheet, but just barely. I went up early, mapped out my best route to get off the base, parked just outside the gate that was closest to I-5, anticipated which onramp was likely not to be congested with the president coming etc... and we waited for Air Force One to arrive.

Everything went smoothly, I got my photo (it was one of these.) and made serious tracks to the gate where my photo car was parked. It was at the gate that I was met by a short Marine corporal with a very large rifle. “No one is allowed to exit the base until the President departs, Sir.”

“WHAT? All I want to do is LEAVE!” I tried every argument, every story, every bluster I could come up with. I may have promised him a date with my sister, but nothing worked.

I missed the final edition that day, but I learned a cosmic truth: there is nothing in this great universe, not even the weight of the Copley empire, quite so immovable as a Marine corporal with orders and an M-1 rifle.

***

Hey Chuck. Yes, I do have a picture of that old Churchward cabin cruiser I bought. I will see if I can find it. Were you with us when we went out and almost sank the thing? ? Ed Neil was the one who discovered the we had a problem. He came up on the bridge where I was regaling my guests with my expertise and seafaring knowledge, and asked me if it was proper for the floorboards in the cabin to be floating? Apparently there was an engine circulation valve that I had accidently left open and it had siphoned most of Mission Bay into the boat. I managed to turn the bilge pump on and headed for the dock. The boat and all aboard were saved, but I was a bit embarrassed

***

1 comment:

chuckography said...

Surely I replied! Can't believe I would not.
I have a picture of you on the bridge of your yacht and your very unimpressed daughter stands between us.

Don't think it was the day you nearly sank, but I'll dig around and find it.

Hell, with my memory, I might have already sent it.