Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Ring of Truth Award

So sad to hear that no Pulitzers were awarded to those of the UT persuasion this year. It did remind me of the other brass ring of journalism, slightly less known perhaps, but a gem nonetheless. What ever happened to the Ring of Truth award... also known reverently in 919 circles as the Ding-a-Ling of Truth award? I always thought that it was a marvelously proletary gesture for the brass to give awards for the marvelously vague and often obscure categories up with which (I assume) Paula Kent came. My one and only award was for “Best Photo Promoting the Copley Press” or something like that. I took a huge, group photo of.. .. well, a huge group. The award is a desktop plaque with an actual brass bell sitting on it. Kind of neat. My kids have loved it over the years, joyfully ringing in many a happy occasion or generally annoying their mother with it. The year I received it was the last year they had an actual bell. The next year they just gave a plaque with a picture of a bell on it. That award then became, of course the No Bell Prize. I never got one of those.

No comments: