Wednesday, April 25, 2007

How I was deported from Mexico

JERRY WINDLE writes:
The Mexico stories and my recent re-connect with my good photo-buddy John Price, through the 919 gang, reminded me of a story for which I always admired his resourcefulness. He was covering one of the "squatter" sit-ins at Rosarito Beach. He had his photos and saw the Federales heading his way. Somehow, he managed to get the film out of his camera and put in a new roll so when they demanded, at gun point, he surrender his film, he "reluctanbty" agreed and protested a little (role playing so he didn't look suspicious). I often tried to duplicate that feat just in case I was ever in a similar situation, but could never quite pull it off. Something you might see in the movies but he did it somehow!!!
Photogs always felt a close kinship in the old building with the Trib staffers because the photo lab was "embedded" in the Trib newsroom.

Great story, Jerry. And the public never realizes what photogs go through to bring home the news.

***
Last night, Jerry Windle recalled the time John Price managed to slip the film out of his camera and insert a blank roll seconds before the federales told him to hand over his film.

JOHN PRICE writes:
I had forgotten that incident at the border Jerry Windle told about. I admit it may sound a little juvenile, but I really did practice changing film and lenses without looking, just in case I ever had to.
So the question is, does getting forcibly deported by two Mexican soldados right out of a B-movie, complete with the mirrored sunglasses, starched fatigues and very large rifles, get me considered for the journalistic Hall of Shame? I know I could never hope to compete with trafficking in illegal lobsters, but my mother would have been really embarrassed by what her son had come to. Would that count?

I think the film-palming stunt qualifies you for the photo hall of fame. I know Jerry Windle sounded envious of your talent. I assume the deportation you mention was a separate incident, yes? If so, we'll need more details before we can elevate you to the same high status as the lobster poacher.

No comments: