Wednesday, July 18, 2007

AW NUTZ Candy Complany

JERRY WINDLE writes:
My former darkroom partner and 919er John Price may not recall, but he and I bought a couple cases of the 1962 Non-GOP Convention ashtrays. we sold them for a while, and I wound up with several eventually "borrowed" by my son and given to his friends. We saw an article in the Trib, maybe Neil Morgan, about the company that had made them and was selling them so we got a case or two. John and I loved working downtown as on our lunch hour we'd wander down to Goodwill or the Salvation Army thrift stores down on Fifth - before the Gaslamp quarter. We always found bargains. Once we bought several "Hot Nut" vending machines and a few gumball machines. I still have one yet today. Speaking of downtown, this will probably prompt a discussion but in pre-Mission Valley days, parking was on your own. I always parked near the railroad tracks below Market Street and walked to work, often with my camera gear. I would not dare to do that today!! Often walked by the nut company that was always cooking peanuts, and one could buy a pound of fresh roasted peanuts for only 45 cents! What a bargain! One day walking to my car, I ran across a Mobil station being torn down. I later returned and asked if I could have the two metal "Flying Horses" from the station using my kid as an excuse. They said sure, and I took both and somehow managed to get them into my VW bug. My wife made me sell one eventually, but I still have one hanging on a backyard shed. Worth few hundred bucks today! Downtown was great, even with the walk to work. Mission Valley brought FREE parking. Spoiled the new hires!!

No comments: