Thursday, July 19, 2007


Someone mentioned Jack O'Halloran the other night. I don't know anything about pugilistic endeavors, but I remember I was impressed with Jack O'Halloran as a fighter. I have always liked this photo of him. I am pretty sure it was a bout at the old sports arena... wasn't it down by the harbor? He did have a brief and very bright career that fizzled as abruptly as it flared. When I look at this photo I am convinced I would not want to meet him in the proverbial dark alley if he were feeling grumpy... whatever his win-loss was.

I was also impressed with Archie Moore as a fighter, but probably even more as a human being and his accomplishments outside the ring. He did a lot for the community and other people, kids especially, with a foundation and camps and other programs. I photographed Archie several times for different reasons and recall that I was saddened when he died.

No comments: